Welcome to National Cohousing Open House Weekend — in the East Bay, and Beyond!
Lots of area cohousing neighborhoods, established and forming, are doing events, both in person and virtual, this weekend (and in the week around it). You’ll find events in:
- Berkeley: A rare opportunity to visit Berkeley Cohousing, kicking off the weekend Saturday morning (Boichik Bagels and an orientation by Cohousing Coach Betsy Morris included). Sunday afternoon, an open house for qualified applicants at an affordable housing co-op nearby. Plus a virtual gathering Sunday afternoon for the nearly “shovel-ready” community nearby, Berkeley Moshav.
- Emeryville: Doyle Street Cohousing has a home for sale, with an open house Sunday afternoon
- Fremont: Mission Peak Cohousing will be hosting walks around its site on Sunday afternoon
- Oakland: The retrofit-style knock-down-fences-to-neighbors community, Temescal Creek, will be open Saturday afternoon. And then Monday evening there’s a weekend debrief with an EcoVillage focus at PLACE.
- Pleasant Hill: The first in-person tour in years, with an optional workday, Saturday morning.
- Beyond: Open houses in Cotati, West Sacramento, Soquel, Fair Oaks, and the Sierra foothills will be listed on the Cohousing California website.
- Everywhere: There’s a virtual national gathering this Wednesday morning, and several topic-related ones this weekend, with regional focus, affordability innovations, and more. Listings here.
Below you’ll find a listing of key events (including some national virtual ones) of interest, plus a map of the in-person gatherings.
Please click on each individual event to learn more about it and RSVP. Please note the date/time — these are communities of private homes (or a future community site), and they aren’t equipped for you to drop in unannounced.
PS Special thanks to Cohousing Enthusiasts group organizers Molly and Amy who did the hard work of compiling lists, arranging schedules, and nudging communities, while I’ve been out of town. They’ll be adding a follow-up later in the month. — Raines.