Please join us to get to know our little community, share a potluck lunch and tour the property, and if you have time, stick around to work in the garden.
We every so often have a one bedroom apartment available to rent, ready for new members! Come join us at this real, in-person open house, see our cohousing community and tour the apartments. When we have openings, they usually go to people who have been coming to our gatherings. We like to meet someone at least 3 times before they submit an application.
This is an opportunity to and learn more about this cohousing project, an EBCOHO Supporting Member Group. Please check the group's website for more about the community and the apartment, and more pictures:
The Open House:
Potluck lunch at noon (bring food for yourself if you're not comfortable sharing yet). Bring a mask, but you don't have to wear it when outdoors. Keep in mind that not all of us are vaccinated, so only come if you're comfortable with mixed company. We're fine with you, whatever your vaccine status!
Two apartments will be open for a tour at 1:00 PM. Please stick around in the afternoon to help us work in the garden, and get to know us.
We appreciate EBCOHO RSVP's but drop-ins are welcome too, if you make last-minute plans. If you get a chance, fill out this form on our website : http://www.brookdalecommons.org/finance/ and tell us something about yourself. Call for a private tour if you can't make it on Sunday, or come next month. We almost always host an open house on the 2nd Sunday of each month.
About Our Community:
We are currently a community of five households with the potential to
grow to 9 and to create a common house.
We have thrived in the time of Covid because we could always gather to socialize in our beautiful courtyard. This has been wonderful in this challenging time, keeping us from being isolated, especially those of us who are single and working from home.
Even in this urban space there are lots of places to grow flowers and food. The bees and hummingbirds love our garden, and we're growing tomatoes, figs, cucumbers, squash, string beans and peas.
3130 Brookdale Ave
Oakland, CA 94601
Google map and directions
Welcome to National Cohousing Open House Weekend — in the East Bay, and Beyond!
- Berkeley: A rare opportunity to visit Berkeley Cohousing, kicking off the weekend Saturday morning (Boichik Bagels and an orientation by Cohousing Coach Betsy Morris included). Sunday afternoon, an open house for qualified applicants at an affordable housing co-op nearby. Plus a virtual gathering Sunday afternoon for the nearly “shovel-ready” community nearby, Berkeley Moshav.
- Emeryville: Doyle Street Cohousing has a home for sale, with an open house Sunday afternoon
- Fremont: Mission Peak Cohousing will be hosting walks around its site on Sunday afternoon
- Oakland: The retrofit-style knock-down-fences-to-neighbors community, Temescal Creek, will be open Saturday afternoon. And then Monday evening there’s a weekend debrief with an EcoVillage focus at PLACE.
- Pleasant Hill: The first in-person tour in years, with an optional workday, Saturday morning.
- Beyond: Open houses in Cotati, West Sacramento, Soquel, Fair Oaks, and the Sierra foothills will be listed on the Cohousing California website.
- Everywhere: There’s a virtual national gathering this Wednesday morning, and several topic-related ones this weekend, with regional focus, affordability innovations, and more. Listings here.
Below you’ll find a listing of key events (including some national virtual ones) of interest, plus a map of the in-person gatherings.
Please click on each individual event to learn more about it and RSVP. Please note the date/time — these are communities of private homes (or a future community site), and they aren’t equipped for you to drop in unannounced.
PS Special thanks to Cohousing Enthusiasts group organizers Molly and Amy who did the hard work of compiling lists, arranging schedules, and nudging communities, while I’ve been out of town. They’ll be adding a follow-up later in the month. — Raines.See all events
Don't let the rain get you down. Come on in to a Cohousing Common House in Berkeley and enjoy a bagel brunch Sunday (9/18) with Cynthia Tina, Director of Foundation for Intentional Community (FIC), the international support group for all kinds of community.Read more
We welcome you to Phoenix Commons
our San Francisco Bay Area 55+ cohousing community.
Our community lives in a modern, environmentally friendly building located in the vibrant Jingletown neighborhood of Oakland, CA and is situated along the beautiful Oakland Estuary.
We often have homes for sale, some with sunset views over the San Francisco Bay.
If you’d like to drop by for our Zoom Open House on Saturday, please RSVP on this page or via the East Bay Cohousing MeetUp group.
We look forward to seeing you!
Posted by East Bay Cohousing (EBCOHO) · June 28, 2023 7:08 AM
Posted by East Bay Cohousing (EBCOHO) · May 04, 2023 10:12 AM
Posted by East Bay Cohousing (EBCOHO) · September 17, 2022 12:59 PM
Where do you call home?
How can we build community together, wherever we live?
We will link from here to campaigns, openings, communities, challenges, opportunities, partners, and much more.
- Berkeley Rare In-Person Tour Saturday: Kick off National Cohousing Open House Weekend Sat AM with Bagels!
- El Cerrito
- El Sobrante EcoVillage: Wild and Radish creating sustainable community
- Emeryville Home For Sale: Doyle Street Cohousing - open house Sunday PM
- Fremont Ready to Build: Mission Creek Cohousing - site visit Sunday PM
- Oakland Workdays: Kingfisher Cohousing; EcoVillages/Permaculture:a PLACE for Sustainable Living
- Pleasant Hill In-Person Tour/Workday: Saturday AM at most-suburban East Bay Cohousing neighborhood
- San Leandro
- Walnut Creek
Plus, we have forming groups that haven't identified a site in a particular city yet.
For beyond the East Bay, see Cohousing California.
We’re all about advocacy, organizing, education, and connection.
We’re going from the world’s largest intentional communities MeetUp Group to an inclusive, networked force for good.
We’re led by Cohousing Coaches (Betsy Morris & Raines Cohen, left) becoming EcoVillage Ambassadors, partnering with community organizers and advocates locally, regionally, and nationally to help people find and build shared homes and shared neighborhoods that help us all become more resilient.
We’re supported by your memberships and event fees.
We’re part of the Cohousing California network of regional groups.
- Homes for rent at Kingfisher Cohousing in Oakland
- Two homes for sale at Swan's Market Cohousing in Oakland
- Community in Formation in Fremont: Planning Approval Underway
- Support TOPA: Help lay the groundwork to help people buy their homes when apartments come up for sale. (Berkeley)
- Legalize Tiny Home Villages (Oakland)
- Monthly Zoom tours: Cohousing in Pleasant Hill (intergenerational) and Oakland (senior cohousing) welcome virtual visitors.
- Monthly workdays: Kingfisher Cohousing in Oakland welcomes potential members to come garden and dine together.